Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Central A/C not working properly - hardly any air blowing out

On May 25, 12:56*am, Jo wrote:
On May 24, 6:46*pm, "
wrote:

On May 24, 3:29*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

"Jo" wrote in message
The central A/C and heat in my house aren't working properly and I
need to figure out why. All the equipment (or whatever you want to
call it) is about 24 years old.

The problem started about a month ago when the heat was on. I noticed
that hardly any air was blowing out of the vents and the air that was
blowing out was cool, not warm. Also, the lights in different rooms
would dim every 4 minutes or so. I turned off the heat at this point
and notified the owners of the house who happen to be my parents.

I turned on the A/C this morning and the same thing is happening. The
lights in different rooms dim every 4 minutes or so and hardly any air
is blowing out of the vents.

He may have changed the filters, but the coil for t he AC may still be
clogged. *Since the lights dim every few minutes, I'd guess the blower motor
is not working properly and is cycling off and on. *There is a set of
potential problems such as lack of lubrication in the motor, the blower
bearings, belt loose etc.

You need a reputable service tech to check exactly what the problem is.
Also, at 24 years, it may be time to look for a new, more efficient *AC that
will save you money.

I air isn't blowing out even with the fan set to on, then something is
wrong with the air handler. * Could be clogged up coils, failed motor,
etc.
Time for a service call. *And with a system that's 24 years old, it
should
have been replaced last year when you could have gotten a 30% tax
credit. *A new system would also cut your heating/cooling bills
substantially.

This is probably a stupid question, but any idea how much a new system
would cost for a 2 story house that's approximately 2400 sq. ft. plus
the basement which is about 1400 sq. ft.? I'm just kind of looking for
a range, just to get an idea as to how much something like this would
cost. I have no idea whether it would be $10,000 or $5,000 or $20,000.- Hide quoted text -

There isn't a lot to go on here. We don't even know the climate for
the location, fuel, etc. And what a system costs in NYC is going to
be different than what it cost 100 miles away in NY state.
But assuming it's middle America and just a straight replacement,
you should be more in the $5k to $10K range. Many utilities are
offering rebates on units that meet certain efficiency standards
that can bring down that cost.