Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Kohler motor on Husqvarna mower

On 5/24/2011 7:41 PM, LSMFT wrote:
Puddin' Man wrote:

Sears has a sale on a Husqvarna mower with Kohler OHV motor.

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthr...id=0&t=2947555
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...10038 3&aff=Y

Anybody had experience with Kohler motors? Comparison of Kohler with
(dreaded) Briggs/Stratton??

Thx,

I have never seen a bad motor. Briggs is good, Kohler is a good brand.
I've had many different makes, all were good. Toro, Power Product,
Honda, Briggs, Kohler, Tecumseh, Homelite, Jonesred, and a few more.
Maintenance is what makes them last. Don't change the oil, air filter,
spark plug, clean the water and crap out of the gas tank (i'm careful
not to spill crap in the tank from the gas can) oil the wheels and pivot
points, grease the wheel bearings, sharpen the blades, clean the dried
grass, dirt or crap off the implements tigten lose bolts, replace
missing ones; don't do any of that and it will be broken in short time.

Most folks don't know to adjust the valve clearance to keep small
engines running. I used to service a lot of Generac 8kw hard wired
home backup systems with the B&S Vanguard engine and after a few years
or a few extended run times due to power outages, the valves needed
adjusting which was easy on the overhead valve Vanguard engines. The
smaller valve in block or L head engines are more difficult to service
but it can be done. Of course I like the overhead valve engines better. :-)

TDD