Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default What kills a valve rectifier?

"Nutcase Kook"

I totally agree a couple of 1N4007 and sag Rs would be fine by me but we
are
talking musos here and the "valve sound" would magically dissappear. Of
course if I told them nothing about swapping to SS, the valve sound would
not disappear - strange old world isn't it.

** Just fit the diodes ( two pairs in series is a good idea ) and add
resistance only if it seems essential to do so.

he dud GZ34 can stay for ornamental value.

Tell the owner you fixed it.

BTW:

I fix lots of octal a valves, for bad soldering on the pins and flash burns
between plate and heater pins - even if it means removing the octal base to
do so.

Well worth it with newish 6550s, KT88s etc.

..... Phil