Posted to alt.home.repair
Jules Richardson Jules Richardson is offline

Default OT Did people only use bumper jacks?

On Sat, 21 May 2011 04:54:26 -0700, Bob Villa wrote:
I had a '66 Chev Impala...I used ramps (and still do). That was before
"spin-on" oil filters. There was a filter "cartridge" inside a heavy
gauge steel cylinder with a big MF'n bolt thru it. (No, I don't have the
Chev anymore...I have an "old man's" Buick)

My Triumphs had those cartridges, too. It was a right PITA to get to the
cartridge bolt (this was on their V8s) and forget about getting it to
seal well afterwards (not that it really mattered, because they leaked
oil from pretty much everywhere, even when new ;-)

I normally used a floor jack and axle stands, but I seem to remember
borrowing ramps from a friend to try once - there was too much overhang
in front of the front wheels and the car sat too low to the ground for
them to really work, though.

cheers

Jules