Posted to alt.home.repair
Evan[_3_] Evan[_3_] is offline

Default question about hail

On May 23, 10:52*pm, willshak wrote:
dpb wrote the following:

On 5/23/2011 6:19 PM, willshak wrote:

That had to been some large and heavy hail to punch a hole in a 1x6
piece of wood....

Didn't say it punched hole thru, only it was broken (I think, no
pictures).

But, while it is a large hail stone and (fortunately, not terribly
common), I've seen hail punch completely thru 3/4" ply, the roof
and/or trunk/hood of an automobile and other pretty amazing damage.

Take baseball to grapefruit size hail and put it w/ a 60-80 mph
t-storm wind and it'll wreak true havoc.

That's why I said large and heavy. Here, baseball sized hail will dent
the hell out of any car's top, hood and trunk lid, and metal building
roofs, but will bounce off a shingled covered roof.
I still don't think just hail would crack 2 x 6 lumber under shingles.
Of course, if a hurricane or tornado was involved, that would exceed the
factor other than just gravity.
But, let's wait for the OP to tell us how big the hail was.

The last one like that here (SW KS) was in '04 or '05 -- it blew
strongly enough that hail shredded the siding on the Sonic drive-in
building 3 ft off the ground -- that much of a windblown angle under
the drivein canopies.

An empty apartment in the assisted living complex where mother was at
the time had picture window broken out (there were essentially _no_
surviving windows on either the east or north side of any building in
the entire northern 2/3-rds of town). *Since was empty was no
furniture to stop it; it came in so nearly horizontal it made holes
thru sheetrock on west wall approx 8-ft away...

I've had an insurance adjuster was going over the damage to the church
with after that tell me he actually saw concrete sidewalks cracked in
one location.

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683

I think whether or not a baseball sized hailstone could crack
a 1x6 piece of roof sheathing without punching a hole through
the shingles or felt paper of the roof has more to do with the
condition of said board before the hailstone hit it...

If it was old and dried out and ready to crumble all on its own
the impact could have splintered it without damaging the rest
of the roof...

Sort of like how if you have de-mineralized bones, you
might suffer a broken bone because of a fall or a punch
when someone with stronger bones would not experience
the same result...

~~ Evan