Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default question about hail

dpb wrote the following:
On 5/23/2011 9:52 PM, willshak wrote:

I still don't think just hail would crack 2 x 6 lumber under shingles.

Isn't tuba, it's 1x.

Yes, I read that, but just wrote tuba by mistake.
I have 4x8 3/4 plywood under my roof shingles.
We've had small meteorites go through 3/4 plywood roofs, but not hail.
I have an electronic shield over my roof, so I'm impervious. :-)

And, if there were knot or other structural defect already, it's
surely not out of question to break.

As noted, I've personally seen it go clean thru 3/4" ply and leave
clean holes...cracking a 1x ain't much different.

But, again, sure, depends on the actual hail and the storm as well as
the condition of the roof to begin with...

All I'm sayin' is I can believe it could be from the hail not that it
definitely was.

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683