Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
James James is offline

Default cutting 6 x 6 beams with miter saw ??? / new question from OP regarding Spax Lag Screws !!

I have taken all comments to heart, and plan to cut the beams with a 12 inch
miter saw, and cut in more than one pass. Several responders said that
would make a smooth cut if care is taken in the process.

NEW QUESTION !! :

While I used 12 inch spiral nails on a similar project about ten years ago,
my carpenter-helper has suggested that I consider using Spax Lag Screws, of
the proper material for use with PT lumber. I suppose that I would use 10
inch screws, either with a torx or hex head. I am old fashioned (and
old), and I just can't quite see how a screw could provide as much stability
as a 3/8 inch spike nail, or a spiral nail. My carpenter assures me that
it can. It would also seem to me to very hard to install these, but the
Spax website claims one version of the lag screw doesn't even require
pre-drilling !! I just can't envision how this 10 inch screw could be
drilled in straight, and not go off on a bad angle or something...

Any thoughts/ ideas, or (most importantly) experience using these Spax
products ???

Thanks for any tips on this !!

James