Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default question about hail

On 5/23/2011 1:49 PM, dpb wrote:

I wouldn't say it would be impossible, but I think it highly unlikely
you could actually have broken 1x6 (open?) sheathing by hail and not
have gone through the roof at the same time. I'd vote that was more
likely previous damage.

BTW, we're in one of those areas prone to large hail so I've certainly
seen severe enough hail to cause the damage; just that if there is
missing material there wouldn't have been support for the hailstone.

OTOH, if it is just a crack (and particularly if there were a know or
other weakness in the area already), I can certainly see that the
hailstone could make the break but rebound and not actually penetrate.

Again, I'd definitely _not_ do anything but a re-roof...what level of
damage does the adjustor give?