Posted to alt.home.repair
internaughtfull internaughtfull is offline

Default question about hail

Hi,

I had some hail recently, which dented the ridge cap on the roof and
removed
some gravel from the shingles. I do not have any leaks. I looked in
the attic
and saw one spot where the 1x6's had been broken. One place had a
splintered
crack, and another had 12" piece about 1-2" wide knocked out, and you
could
see some black fabric [I assume the roofing felt] pushing through, but
upon close inspection
during a rain storm, there was no dripping. I went on top of the roof
and looked in that area,
and there was no hole in the shingles.

What could have caused that? Can the hail break the 1x6's and not
remove the shingle?
Or was that damage done by the roofer?

I was also wondering if it was ok to put dimensional shingles on top
of 3 tab shingles without a rip off
and replacing felt.

Thanks,

itchy