Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Winterburn Doug Winterburn is offline

Default Harper CANNOT be trusted with a majority Gov't.

On 05/22/2011 07:03 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sun, 22 May 2011 02:28:26 -0700, "Lobby Dosser"
wrote:

- There is no sense in which you are constrained to use Microsoft.

Then why am I using it?

Because you're too lazy to work with something else?

What's the status of Linux today? What percentage of Win apps have
been _decently_ ported to it now?

The main one is for M$ Office - OpenOffice or LibreOffice. You don't
really need a "port" of these apps, just a compatible alternative like
Firefox or Chrome for IE and Thunderbird and others for Outlook and OE.
Other stuff like Skype is a port although several versions behind.
Google talk is better than Skype anyway.

There are some pretty powerful apps on Linux such as the
graphics/animation stuff that did the Titanic movie and others.

Most supercomputer implementations are Linux based as are much of the
internet infrastructure machines.

--
The only reason we die, is because we accept death as an inevitability.
-- Seth MacFarlane