Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John John is offline

Default Snap-on

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sat, 21 May 2011 20:08:53 -0600, Joe Pfeiffer
wrote:

writes:

At the risk of starting a brouhaha, why would one pay the price for
Snap-on tools? Granted they are very well made, beautifully plated, etc.
But at 5 to 10 times the cost of other quality tools. This came to mind
after I bought a 3/4" combo wrench from a $0.25 box and looked up the
price after I returned home -$40-.

Speaking only for myself, I typically only buy Snap-On tools when I
can't find a less expensive alternative.

I've done some pretty hefty torquing with the Pittsburgh set from HF
while changing leaf spring bushings on my then 20 year old F-150.

The 22 piece sets cost less than a single combo wrench from Snap-On.
I'm satisfied with the lifetime-guaranteed Pittsburgh stuff.
1/4-7/8" and 6-19mm for $23.shrug http://goo.gl/gsnzv or
http://www.harborfreight.com/22-piec...set-47467.html

Plus, the highly polished chrome of Snap-On is hard as hell to work
with under greasy or oily conditions. Slippery as hell.

I'll second that. I have some industrial snap-on without the chrome and
they work a lot better in oily conditions. The problem is that Snap-on
does not warranty them.

Some snap on tools are good and some are second best. The best
ratchets that I have used are the old fine toothed ratchets from
Craftsman, made before the 70's. Also the other tools from craftsman
before the seventies are very good. I have worn out more Phillips
screw drivers from snap-on and had the shafts replaced in the existing
handle. I have a couple of sets of snap-on sockets and they are good.
I bought a set of Williams 1/2 inch drive sockets back in the early
sixties and they seemed to be too brittle. Three of them cracked on the
wall of the twelve point sockets.
I recently bought a bunch of sets of sockets and ratchets from a local
wholesale surplus place, probably Chinese, but I liked the way they were
set up in a formed plastic box that was easy to carry to the job. The
sockets and ratchet seem to work well enough and I have torked pretty
hard on them more than once. I still have a couple of sets of the old
craftsman sockets but they are with the old metal container with the
bent strip over the top of them and they are a pain to carry and work
out of.
The worst thing that still burns me about snap on tools is the air
powered sheet metal shear I bought when doing aircraft sheet metal work.
The blade on the shear broke the second time I used it so I returned
it to get it repaired under warranty. They took over three months to
repair it and I used it a couple of more times and it broke again. They
charged me about one third of the new price to repair it. The same
thing happened with a pair of wire strippers. The only real good thing
about snap-on tools was the convenience of the truck coming up to your
door.

John