Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Snap-on

"Joseph Gwinn" wrote in message
In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:

On Sat, 21 May 2011 16:15:35 -0700, Pilgrim
wrote:

At the risk of starting a brouhaha, why would one pay the price for
Snap-on tools? Granted they are very well made, beautifully plated, etc.

Part of it is their service. They come to your place of work and
replace any problem children, but most things just don't break.
I originally got that same peace of mind from Searz until the late
'70s, when they totally went to **** and I had to make broken Crapsman
tool runs to Searz twice a week with bandaged frackin' hands. I no
longer shop there at all, for over 30 years now. Effem.

But Snap-On and Festool are just too pricy for my tastes.

I recall the Craftsman versus Snap On debates from the late 1960s. I
bought mostly Craftsman, and never had any problems. I was working on
my own car, not wrenching for a living. Though I did get a job offer
once, after the dealer watched me fix my old Volvo in his parking lot.

But I must say that Craftsman has slipped badly since those days.

Joe Gwinn

My Craftsman wrenches are ones I bought in 1965. My Williams tools (which I
inherited) date from the 1950s. Both are excellent -- I prefer the Williams,
just because they're so nicely made, but I've never had a failure with
either one.

I have three boxes full of Craftsman (one inherited) and five full of
Williams. I don't think I'll ever need to buy another one.

--
Ed Huntress