Posted to alt.home.repair
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default OT Did people only use bumper jacks?

On Sun, 22 May 2011 08:08:32 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
mm wrote:

The advantage of the scissors jack is the hole that mades with the
"bump" under the frame. Do bottle jacks have anything like that?

Or is it even an advantage? Soetimes it's a pain trying to get the
two parts to match up, and I'm not really sure what good that does.

If I understand your question correctly, the jack locating feature is
provided to prevent you from jacking the car elsewhere, where it doesn't
have the structure necessary to support the car. IOW, move the jack a
few inches and the jack will crumple the sheet metal instead of lifting
the car. AIUI, of course.

The tripod screw jacks with fit-to-bumper hook up were the best bumper
jacks I've used. But they're big.
Scissors jacks are way too flexible. Used them because they make a
small package.
The old Bugs had a ratcheting jack that plugged into a square hole on
the side, so you lifted the entire left or right side.
But the steel that made that hole rusted out after not too many years.
Used a scissors jack on it after that.
I think the 2 car I have now have scissors jacks in the trunk.
Can't remember the last time I had a flat.
That's why I don't bother to keep a small floor jack in the trunk like
I used to.
Think those little 2 1/2 ton floor jacks became available for less
than a hundred in the late '70's.
I trust the heavy duty jack stands, but nothing gives me more comfort
under a car than levelly stacked 18" 6x6's.
They are foolproof, but bulky and hard to place so they don't get in
the way..

--Vic