Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Follow-up on IR-remote-remote

On Thu, 12 May 2011 01:25:30 -0400, mm
wrote:

On Thu, 12 May 2011 00:06:08 -0400, mm
wrote:

Follow-up on IR remote remote

I figured that just like light fills the whole room when you turn on a
light, so did IR!

But no, I noticed that if I held my hand between the CFL ceiling light
and the Powermid pyramid, the red light on the pyramid went off.

I ran the power cord across the sink, though I didn't want to do that,
and moved the powermid to almost 3 feet from tv, so the tv doesn't
cause the red light to go on anymore.

But I'd still like to know why the IR doesn't bounce off the white
walls and fixtures and fill the room, like the visible light does.

If the IR doesn't bounce off of the tiles it is because the tiles are
absorbing the IR. Many substances that are opaque to visible light let
IR shine through. This is why law enforcement agencies sometimes use
IR cameras to look for pot growing operations by flying above homes.

So rather than change the bulb, I was going to make a little paper
awning that would keep the IR from the light away from the pyramid.

But I noticed again that turning on the tv also lights the red light,
and that no place I put a paper shield made any difference.

So I'll do more testing, with a pyramid and mostly with other
televisions. Or moving the pyramid. I may have to install another
outlet -- the room only has one.

I have five of these in operation, but only the bathroom gives me a
problem, maybe because that ceiling light is only a foot in front of
the pyramid and because only there does the pyramid sit right on the
tv.

Thanks again for all the advice.