Posted to alt.home.repair
The Ghost in The Machine The Ghost in The Machine is offline

Default L.E.D. string lights

On May 22, 12:29*am, "
wrote:
On Sat, 21 May 2011 18:22:56 -0700 (PDT), zek wrote:
On May 21, 9:09*pm, zek wrote:
On May 21, 10:30*am, Smitty Two wrote:

In article ,
*"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message

Sam Takoy wrote:
Hi,

What's the brightness (let's say per foot) of the L.E.D. rope lights in
incandescent-light-watt-equivalent?

Thanks,

Sam
Hi,
Watt is unit *of power(energy) There is no such thing as ILWE.

They use a similar rating on the CFLs. * GE, for instance, call their 13
Watt bulbs Smart 60.

They really rate bulbs in lumens, but we've used watts for over 100 years so
there are a lot of habits to change. *I don't know of anyone that looks at
the lumens on the package.

I was talking with a guy the other day, who knows about this stuff in a
way that few do, and he says the only really correct way to compare
light intensity is in watts of *output.* Says lumens aren't a very clear
measure at all. First time I'd heard that, but like I said, the guy has
a boatload of credibility.

Radiance is the correct term for total light output. Lumens is an
amount hitting a surface at a particular point. Add a lens and the
Lumens will increase at some point. add a reflector and Lumens
increase at some point. A flashlight hAs high lumens in a spot. When I
start reading about candlepower, I start to get a headache.

No, "luminance" is the correct term for (visible) light output.

Greg

There must be some kind od standard rating Lumens, because it's all
about distance, like 100lumens at one meter or foot. The farther away
the light, the lumens goes down since lumens is the amount falling on
a surface from a light. Candle power is light output looking at the
source of the light.

No, a lumen is the visible light output of a one candela isotropic source, per
steradian (4pi steradians per circle so the entire output of the 1 candela
source is 4pi lumens). *Distance is not a factor since the energy is measured
over a solid angle.

THIS ISNT SCIENCE OR ELECTRICAL CLASS YOU FREAK, SHUT THE **** UP
ALREADY.
TGITM