Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Portable air conditioner performance

On May 22, 12:56*am, "SRN" wrote:
"SBH" wrote in message

How do portable AC units compare to their counterpart window units in
performance and efficiency?

The ones I have seen are very expensive and not very efficient. They are not
eligible for the governments energy star program
(http://www.energystar.gov/ia/partner...revisions/down...

And the ones I have seen use only a single exhaust vent in the window,
so.... that means you are using your cooled inside air to be blown thru the
condenser and then vented outside to be lost. Not very efficient.

From what I can see from looking at a few specs, it looks like there
isn't
a lot of difference in terms of performance. With both types I found
units
in the range of 10 to 12 EER. I agree you would think using the
inside
air to move through the condenser would make the portables less
efficient, but it may not make that big of a difference.

I think the choice of which to use usually comes down to what will
work
in the particular application. I'd go with a window unit unless there
was a reason it could not be used.