Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mike[_12_] mike[_12_] is offline

Default What happened to my hard drive?

On May 21, 8:52*pm, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:
mike wrote:

On May 20, 1:17 pm, "Michael A. Terrell"

* *You may have some cracked solder joints on the controller board on
the drive, or other problems. *Some repairs are beyond the average tech,
because they don't have the right tools available. *You need good
magnification and a steady hand to resolder some ultra fine pitch ICs,
and most people can't do it even with the right tools.

Well, that's a thought, I've not spent any time looking over the
circuit board
under the magnifying light - but, I have no confidence in being able
to do
solder joint touch ups to a board with surface-mount components.
I was kind of transitioning out of electronics about the same time
surface
mount stuff started being used in everything,so I've never even seen
any
of the specialized tools up close.

*I keep dead
drives on hand to swap boards and sometimes repair a controller board,
but I worked in electronics manufacturing where it was part of my job to
do that level of work. *Just keep studying electronics and you may be
surprised at what you can learn. *

Oh, yeah, gotta keep the ole synapses properly exercised, so why
not...