Posted to rec.woodworking
Lobby Dosser[_3_] Lobby Dosser[_3_] is offline

Default Harper CANNOT be trusted with a majority Gov't.

"Jack Stein" wrote in message
On 5/16/2011 2:04 PM, Tim Daneliuk wrote:
On 5/14/2011 7:25 PM, Jack Stein said this:
On 5/15/2011 9:28 AM, Tim Daneliuk wrote:
On 5/14/2011 5:32 PM, Jack Stein wrote:

SNIP

You're grumbling because the Chevy dealer won't put Ford sales
literature in the showroom...

Wrong, I'm grumbling because most all retail outlets sold ONLY MS
operating systems. They did this because of illegal marketing practices
of MS.

I'm grumbling because I'm using the worlds worst OS on my PC because of
these past illegal marketing practices. I'm grumbling because most of
the
software professionally developed is developed only for the worlds worst
OS. I'm grumbling because most of the hardware developed works only with
the worlds worst operating system. All because of the things that
horrified a great federal anti trust judge, Stanley Sporkin.

Methinks you're got way more emotional investment in this than
it is worth.

I am passionate about the subject.

I too have been doing this sort of work for
a very long time (starting with an IBM 1130 and then TRS-DOS/LDOS,
CP/M, Unix, MSDOS .... et al). From where I sit anyway:

- Best technology never wins. First mover usually wins. Not
first to *create* but first to *commercialize*. Microsoft
didn't win because of its evil marketing behavior.

Judge Sporkin wasn't convinced, and neither am I.

It won because the people in the Unix community - that had a waaaaaay
better product -
couldn't get out of their own way.

Unix, for whatever reason, was never in competition with DOS/Windows.

- I've made a decent living for a considerable amount of time doing
*NIX based work. I also made a nice profit owning
Microsoft stock by *holding* it (whereas Sun only ever made me money
day trading). Best of both worlds, I'd say.

Yeah, but not the issue.

- There is no sense in which you are constrained to use Microsoft.

Then why am I using it?

Because you're too lazy to work with something else?