Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] stans4@prolynx.com is offline

Default Snap-on

On May 21, 5:15*pm, Pilgrim wrote:
At the risk of starting a brouhaha, why would one pay the price for
Snap-on tools? Granted they are very well made, beautifully plated, etc.
But at 5 to 10 times the cost of other quality tools. This came to mind
after I bought a 3/4" combo wrench from a $0.25 box and looked up the
price after I returned home -$40-.

Stay calm.

Chuck P.

No brouhaha here, I never did pay the price. I could get Williams and
S-K off the peg. Now about the only US manufacturer left in retail is
Sears that's available locally. Not sure how getting Ace to retail
Craftsman is going to help Sears, though.

I think the attraction of Snap-On is that they were doing mechanic's
sets on time and they had those handy trucks that went to the shops
instead of the guys having to find their own tool sources. Most of
the tool distributors in the area closed at 5 and didn't have Saturday
hours, so employed mechanics didn't have a chance at any other makes
anyway. It was Sears, Snap-On or maybe MAC in some areas.

Stan