Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

Default L.E.D. string lights

Smitty Two wrote in
news
In article ,
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message

Sam Takoy wrote:
Hi,

What's the brightness (let's say per foot) of the L.E.D. rope
lights in incandescent-light-watt-equivalent?

Thanks,

Sam
Hi,
Watt is unit of power(energy) There is no such thing as ILWE.

They use a similar rating on the CFLs. GE, for instance, call their
13 Watt bulbs Smart 60.

They really rate bulbs in lumens, but we've used watts for over 100
years so there are a lot of habits to change. I don't know of anyone
that looks at the lumens on the package.

I was talking with a guy the other day, who knows about this stuff in
a way that few do, and he says the only really correct way to compare
light intensity is in watts of *output.* Says lumens aren't a very
clear measure at all. First time I'd heard that, but like I said, the
guy has a boatload of credibility.

Sorry, that doesn't make sense. Watts are units of electrical power
consumption (actually, that should be watts/unit time). For light
output, the unit is lumen. The reason that is a bit misleading is
because the actual energy output is in a subjective manner affected by
the spectral distribution. And that distribution also determines whether
the light is harsh or pleasingly warm. I think the best way to describe
light is as so many lumens at a spectral temperature of so many degrees
(usually expressed in degrees Kelvin). We're just not used to that way
of expressing (yet).

--
Best regards
Han