Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default OT Did people only use bumper jacks?

mm wrote:

OT Watching a Patty Duke epiode from 1966, another teenager keeps
working under his car with nothing holding it up afaict but bumper
jack. There scenes like that.

I know I didn't have safety stands until 1970 or maybe much later, but
I also didn't lie under the car when it was jacked up.

Was this sort of standard in 1956, for teenagers, amateurs, even pros?

I'd say through the 60's in my neck of the woods. I did know a
guy who didn't trust jacks so he used a come-along and a 6" branch on
an oak tree as a lift. He'd jack a Cadillac front end up high
enough to change oil easily. They don't make bumpers like *that*
anymore.

Candy asses might put a chunk of firewood under the bumper as a
safety-- and if they were feeling exceptionally nervous, maybe even
chock the wheels.

Lucky we were all pretty much invincible--- 'cept for the ones that
weren't.

Jim