Posted to alt.home.repair
Fat-Dumb and Happy Fat-Dumb and Happy is offline

Default OT Did people only use bumper jacks?

mm wrote:
OT Watching a Patty Duke epiode from 1966, another teenager keeps
working under his car with nothing holding it up afaict but bumper
jack. There scenes like that.

I know I didn't have safety stands until 1970 or maybe much later, but
I also didn't lie under the car when it was jacked up.

Was this sort of standard in 1956, for teenagers, amateurs, even pros?

I've had my car fall off the bumper jack twice, once when it was on a
hill, I was only changing a tire and I didn't put anything under the
car, only my arms in the wheel well for a few seconds. Once I had to
borrow a jack from another guy on the street, to get my jack out, and
then I used both jacks.

Yes, Bumper jacks were the most common way to lift a car and probably
the only way for most shade tree mechanics. A lot of brake shoes were
changed using nothing but bumper jacks to get the wheel off the ground.
Most people were a lot skinnier back in those days, I could usually
take a drive shaft out with having to raise the vehicle. Oh the good
old days, a piece of cardboard to lay on and a hand full of tools and
you could fix a lot of things on the old cars....