James Hart

Default Replacing a BT (GPO) Block Terminal

Brian {Hamilton Kelly} wrote:
In article
amplease "Paul" writes:

Sorry didn't read the whole thread before I posted.The URL I was
referring to was
http://www.rswww.com/cgi-bin/bv/browse/Module.jsp?
@@@@&BV_Engi
neID=cccdadcjkdjfkjdcfngcfkmdgkldfhn.0&cacheID=uki
e&3244998011=3244998011&stockNo=2648064

Which doesn't work; neither does the http://tinyurl.com/t1wa which
you posted earlier.

The reason for this failure is that RS maintain separate sessions for
each person connecting, and these sessions time-out (to say nothing of
being meant to be unique to you, at that time).

Anyone wanting these details will probably have to go to the RS site
http://www.rswww.com/ and use the search facility to look for the
product number: presumably that is the 2648064 in the URL above?

One final comment; many browsers are confused by URLs which span
multiple lines (which is, of course, why posters like services such
as tinyurl). The confusion arises because the blank lines are seen as
being the same sort of delimiting white space as that which precedes
and follows the entire URL. The RFCs that define the syntax for URLs
suggest using something other than white-space to delimit the URL
(and the best suggestion is matching diamond brackets ).

So if you'd quoted your URL (had it not been broken through being
tied to a particular session) in the form:
http://www.rswww.com/cgi-bin/bv/browse/Module.jsp?
@@@@&BV_Engi
neID=cccdadcjkdjfkjdcfngcfkmdgkldfhn.0&cacheID=uki
e&3244998011=3244998011&stockNo=2648064
then _some_ browsers would not have been confused. (Some, I fear,
would still be.)

OE sees the original post as a valid URL but your version breaks it ( I
guess do to line length. The version with the is broken as well. Makes no
difference with RS though because of the session thing anyway.

--
James...
http://www.jameshart.co.uk/