Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected][_2_] norminn@earthlink.net[_2_] is offline

Default Building an adjustable tortilla press

On 5/20/2011 8:51 AM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
wrote:

On 5/19/2011 9:33 PM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

-snip-
I'll have to play with the pasta roller and see if I can get rounds
from it. That would solve the 6" tortilla manufacturing for now.

Thanks-
Jim

They taste better round? ;o)

I *think* they are easier to wrap when consistent. But then again--
I'm the son of an engineer&

Oh, God! You toss 'em in the trash if they're 1/2" out of round? My
mom would have been a tremendous engineer and would have brought every
project in on time, under budget and with no injuries. She made a good
nanny, practiced well before I arrived )

as I get older, on occasion, I find
myself making jobs more difficult than they ought to be.g

Opposite of how it SHOULD be (I speak from long experience) - yer
supposed to take it easy )

Thinking now, that if I made a big roller, I could just cut the rounds
with a 'cookie cutter' - and toss the rest in a 'chip' pile. That
should be pretty efficient, and keep the dough from being overworked.

Jim

I pile a lot of stuff on my tacos and usually have juice dripping from
my elbows by the time I finish. A nice, oval taco would wrap around
more "stuff" and not split.

Tortillas are one thing I've never made from scratch, but you've got my
curiosity going. I've tried crepes, with good results. I was recently
introduced to a yummy snack - cracker (plain flavor or Ritz), cream
cheese, one big, fat blackberry, and a dribble of lemon curd.

Norwegian version of a tortilla is lefse, made usually with some cooked
potato - warm it on the wood stove, slather with butter and brown sugar.
Fills one much like I imagine a large rock would. Some people eat
lutefisk with 'em, but it stinks to high heaven.

My next project is lemon ice cream with peach tart tatin (Peach, caramel
sauce, puff pastry)...gotta go!