Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default Serious Question - Why am I splitting firewood

On May 19, 10:23*am, Red wrote:
On May 18, 11:32*pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:

On May 18, 11:37*am, wrote:

Besides making it fit, what is the purpose of splitting firewood?
To help it dry? *To help it burn?
I'm tired of splitting it but not knowing why.
Thanks
Rb

I'm a month shy of 75 years old and I enjoy the exercise of splitting
firewood. *I have to do some splitting because the rounds are 2ft in
diameter and just too heavy and big to fit in the fireplace without
splitting them. *I have free wood and so I can really save some $$ by
heating our house with free wood. *Our heatolator fireplace can keep
the house at 70 unless it is very windy out and/or below 20F. *I just
turn on the furnace fan to run continuously. *I do realize I am paying
something extra to run the blower continuously, but it would be on
quite a lot if I was using the furnace to heat the house, so the delta
is pretty small compared to using natural gas.

Ditto. *I'm 70 and enjoy the exercise of splitting my own wood with a
sledge & wedge. *I keep 5 years worth of split firewood under cover
just in case I get 'old'. *I burn the oldest first, never have to
worry if it's dry enough to burn, & refill the shed every spring.
Easy to do when it's off your own land.
Red- Hide quoted text -

Same here. 76 heat almost 100% with wood. I have a TroyBilt splitter
but it only gets used ont he knotty/tough stuff. Got around 40 cords
of Black Locust cut/split/stacked and still cutting B Locust whenever
I can. That stuff doesn't rot. This year I am burning stuff I cut
back in either 93 or 96 (can't recall which) and even the stuff in
direct contact with the ground has only a bit of surface detioration
on the 'dirt' side.

Current project is 7 big B Locust to be removed from a Farmers
farmstead. That should take me a couple months at the speed I work
any more.

Harry K