Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Sylvia Else[_2_] Sylvia Else[_2_] is offline

Default Shorted Computer Power Supply

On 19/05/2011 6:27 AM, KenO wrote:
I tried to connect a hard drive while the Computer Power Supply(CPS)
was turned on and the CPS blew.

The CPS is a ilssan model ISP 120SI from a eTower PC.

When I inspected the CPS components and PC board, found the fuse did
Not blow and only visible damage was a short section of burned wire of
one inductor coil. If you tell me how will post photos of the CPS for
your examination.

Searched the forum and found something similar. "computer power supply
shorted - no apparent cause of death"
http://groups.google.com/group/sci.e...6a0fb184aa060d

What was recommended was
1. "Check for fusible resistors (usually only a couple of ohms,
designed to go open rapidly and with no visible effect)"

Question: If the damage is not visible is there any method of choosing
what resistors to check?
Also Is there any way to differentiate fusible resistors from standard
ones?

Searched for a schematic but so far have not found one.

Thanks

Ken

I'm going to second, or is it third, or fourth, sentiments expressed by
others.

A power supply has safety issues with it. Do something wrong, and it
could burn down your house. How are you going to test it anyway? It
probably won't run without a load? Attach it to your motherboard? Could
be bye-bye MB.

Send it to the tip.

Sylvia.