Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Other Mike[_3_] The Other Mike[_3_] is offline

Default Small surface mount switches, maybe architrave switches?

On Thu, 19 May 2011 14:07:46 +0100, wrote:

I'm after some small switches for use on a boat, they will be
switching 12 volt lighting so insulation isn't a big issue but they
need to be at least 5 amp rating.

Most of them will need to be surface mounted and I'm having a hard
time finding anything reasonably small and neat. About the best so
far are architrave switches but even these are on the large side for
what I want.

One can get really nice compact toggle and rocker switches from the
likes of CPC and Farnell but I can't find anything (or think of any
way of DIYing) small boxes to mount them in.

Any ideas anyone?

Can't you diy a box in ply/solid timber/aluminium/fibreglass?

Surface mounting can imply surface wiring which is not a really good
idea as it will almost certainly get damaged.

Switches that work for decades in a caravan, or a car can last just a
few weeks in some marine environments. So whatever you do, spend a bit
of cash on the switches from an industrial supplier, not far east
one-hung-lo cheapies from Maplin or CPC, or as good as *some* of their
bits are, an automotive supplier like VWP.

Switches that don't protrude are better if there is any chance of
falling against them or they come close to your face when in a bunk so
normal toggle switches are usually a no-no except when situated under
a cover panel.

Depending on the exposure to the elements pick the highest IP rating
you can justify (and afford) from a reputable manufacturer, use
crimped ring terminals with adhesive heatshrink round the cable end
(rather than push on 1/4 inch crimps) with a smear of silicone grease
on all the terminals both used and unused.

Then you'll fit them once and last rather than ****ing about with
cheap solutions that WILL let you down in the future.