Posted to alt.home.repair
Andy[_26_] Andy[_26_] is offline

Default Building an adjustable tortilla press

On May 19, 1:26 pm, Oren wrote:

We were invited to lunch in very rural Mexico. The best tortilla I've
eaten. They put lime in the mixture -- not found out which type /
brand yet.

Andy replies:

I've spent time there also, and I agree completely....
One of the best things I tried was corn on the cob, sprinkled with
lime, from a street vendor.....

The masa dough for tortillae is available here, since our county
is
about 26% Mexican, but it costs twice as much as flour.... I
did some experimenting, and mixing yellow corn meal with flour
half and half gives the same texture when kneading, and rolls out
almost the same..... I use a tablespoon of baking powder per
cupful....... Bake it as mentioned in Jim E's website.... It is
great.... I make about a dozen at a time and store them in a
sealed baggie in the fridge. Then, before using them, I microwave
each for about 15 seconds...... It's not as good as in Mexico, but
at least as good as the packaged variety here... and I have the
pleasure of doing it myself....

Andy in Eureka, Texas

PS give peanut butter burritos a try.... really good ....