Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

Default Serious Question - Why am I splitting firewood

On May 18, 11:32*pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
On May 18, 11:37*am, wrote:

Besides making it fit, what is the purpose of splitting firewood?
To help it dry? *To help it burn?
I'm tired of splitting it but not knowing why.
Thanks
Rb

I'm a month shy of 75 years old and I enjoy the exercise of splitting
firewood. *I have to do some splitting because the rounds are 2ft in
diameter and just too heavy and big to fit in the fireplace without
splitting them. *I have free wood and so I can really save some $$ by
heating our house with free wood. *Our heatolator fireplace can keep
the house at 70 unless it is very windy out and/or below 20F. *I just
turn on the furnace fan to run continuously. *I do realize I am paying
something extra to run the blower continuously, but it would be on
quite a lot if I was using the furnace to heat the house, so the delta
is pretty small compared to using natural gas.

Ditto. I'm 70 and enjoy the exercise of splitting my own wood with a
sledge & wedge. I keep 5 years worth of split firewood under cover
just in case I get 'old'. I burn the oldest first, never have to
worry if it's dry enough to burn, & refill the shed every spring.
Easy to do when it's off your own land.
Red