Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default What happened to my hard drive?

On Thu, 19 May 2011 03:01:06 -0700 (PDT), mike
wrote:

it just sits there when the machine is turned on, it spins up but
there are no sounds of the heads
seeking anything, and the bios finally times out and says there is
nothing on the IDE channel it's plugged
into - it just sits there, brick-like...

1. Try it with just the power applied and no IDE cable connected.
Can you now hear the heads seeking? The IDE interface on the
motherboard might be fried.
2. You might not be able to hear the heads seeking (actually
self-calibrating) on power on if the machines fans are noisy. I use a
stethoscope.

Sorry for the confusion - what I mean is that after the drive became
brick-like,
I tried out Seatools 1.09 and 3.04 with the drive plugged in but
undetected,
and neither version was able to see the drive.
(...)
*When you go into the CMOS setup, does the
drive show up and is it correctly identified as an ST340810A drive?

No, not any more

Seatools should detect a drive that's not formatted, but does show up
in the BIOS. However, if the drive does NOT appear in the BIOS, it's
dead.

MeatPlow suggested juggling PCB's on the drive. That might be worth
the effort as drives that don't appear in the BIOS are usually PCB
failures, not HDA failures.

if so, the BIOS sees it. *If not, it's dead.

So far it's RIP ded.

Seagate and Western Dismal have made my life interesting. Prior to
about 2005, WD drives had horrible premature failures and Seagate were
surviving much longer than WD. After about 2008, the situation was
reversed, with Seagate drives failing miserably, and WD doing much
better. That's also the current situation. With only two players
left in the commodity retail drive biz, it's becoming rather scarey.
All I can hope for is that the SSD drive makers take over quickly.
Hopefully, they'll last longer than 3-5 years but too soon to tell.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_defunct_hard_disk_manufacturers

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D