Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home[_3_] dennis@home[_3_] is offline

Default Completely OT - bedtime for children

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
dennis@home wrote:

"Tim Watts" wrote in message

Besides, why are they wasting money on commercial software when budgets
are
tight? Everythign our primary school does could be done for free if
someone
in the LEA bothered to make an effort.

Ah that's the rub isn't it.. just because linux is free doesn't mean zero
cost.

Neither is Windows "free" to support.

I didn't say it was.

It takes as much effort as linux. More
so for your average home Joe. Stick and Ubuntu CD/USB in a machine and in
less than an hour (ADSL assumed) you have a working machine with
applications including the latest patches for *everything* with one post
install reboot.

That is not true of Windows if we assume you want Office, Flash, various
drivers etc.

Well no, you wouldn't do it that way in a school environment.
You would network boot the machine and download the pre-configured image and
have the machine up and working in about 10 minutes, for windows or any
other OS you chose.

The reason why most people use windows.. if you have a problem using
windows you can ask lots how and you will get a workable answer. the same
is not true for linux as there are so few users you won't find anyone to
help, and if you do find someone they will be using different software
and
you will have to relearn it.
Unless linux can actually get to 10-20% of users it will remain the same.

That is only partly true. There is plenty of help available online, in one
place for specifically Ubuntu and you generally get solid answers.

OK, so I put in my boot CD and get it to wipe windows and install ubuntu.
Now how do I get online with my wireless router (warning this is a tricky
question to answer).

I expect Google's android will get there before linux.

That is likely.

If I can get a good price on a galaxy s2 I will be one of them, if I can't
it will be a HD7 (windows).