Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mark[_30_] Mark[_30_] is offline

Default Completely OT - bedtime for children

On Thu, 19 May 2011 10:40:36 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

Mark wrote:

Neither do I. I doubt they'd also pay for a computer.

Indeed.

Our 7 year old is now expected to get "computer time" at home.

I'm currently rebuilding a knackered laptop with Xubuntu LTS which means
bits of the school learning web won't work, but that's just too bad.

I've got windows and linux PCs at home but the kids will always prefer
the windows one if they can. They complain the linux PC does not work
properly but can never demonstrate the problem.

They'll get LibreOffice .doc files or PDF and it's their problem if they
don't open at school. Any format that comes here that doesn't work will
result in a note back.

I had a brief look at LibreOffice but it didn't seem to work very well
(menu options grayed out for no obvious reason).

I refuse to have any MS in the house and if it weren't for this old laptop,
she'd be unlucky because I generally don't let the kids near my good one
(too much previous abuse).

To be honest, she's not doing anything that can't be done with a question
sheet and a bit of paper anyway...

I don't think they have paper at schools any more ;-)
--
(\__/) M.