Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Serious Question - Why am I splitting firewood

On May 18, 11:37*am, wrote:
Besides making it fit, what is the purpose of splitting firewood?
To help it dry? *To help it burn?
I'm tired of splitting it but not knowing why.
Thanks
Rb

I'm a month shy of 75 years old and I enjoy the exercise of splitting
firewood. I have to do some splitting because the rounds are 2ft in
diameter and just too heavy and big to fit in the fireplace without
splitting them. I have free wood and so I can really save some $$ by
heating our house with free wood. Our heatolator fireplace can keep
the house at 70 unless it is very windy out and/or below 20F. I just
turn on the furnace fan to run continuously. I do realize I am paying
something extra to run the blower continuously, but it would be on
quite a lot if I was using the furnace to heat the house, so the delta
is pretty small compared to using natural gas.