Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Serious Question - Why am I splitting firewood

wrote in message
news
Besides making it fit, what is the purpose of splitting firewood?
To help it dry? To help it burn?
I'm tired of splitting it but not knowing why.
Thanks
Rb

Faster drying, easier handling, and sometimes you need smaller pieces to get
a fire going.

or more logs. One piece of wood does not burn very well, but two logs feed
off of each other for a better, hotter, fire. Just watch two logs side by
side and see the flames licking back and forth.

It is nearly impossible to light a large log. Building a fire, you need
very small wood, then a bit larger, still larger, then the big logs. When
the fire is down, you put smaller split pieces in to get it going and to
start the larger pieces that will give a longer burn time.

I always had a variety of sizes on hand to load up the stove. The problem
recently is cost. If you can get free wood, great. Buying cordwood cut and
split is getting too expensive and not worth the effort compared to turning
a thermostat. Good to have some on hand in case of power outages though.