Posted to alt.home.repair,free.uk.diy.home,rec.food.cooking

Default Wet carbon steel knife forgotten on rice cooker

On May 18, 2:20*pm, "chaniarts" wrote:
Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On May 18, 7:42 am, "john ryan" wrote:
Carbon steel knife inadvertently left 'wet' on top of the white
plastic lid of a rice cooker, overnight.

Brown rust stain has soaked into the plastic. Is there any chemical
that might remove the stain please?

The scouring powder Barkeeper's Friend has oxalic acid in it. *I'd
make a paste, apply it, and wait. *Keep the paste moist if you
can. *For example, lay a moistened paper towel on top.

BF is not very abrasive, but I'd be careful about rubbing it
on plastic, which is quite soft.

Cindy Hamilton

BF powder is 100% oxalic acid

The MSDS indicates 5-10% by weight.

http://www.barkeepersfriend.com/file...owder_2010.pdf

and is pretty abrasive. i use it to remove mineral deposits on the kitchen
sprayer head.

I generally use it to remove baked-on grease from cookware.

Cindy Hamiton