Posted to alt.home.repair
chaniarts[_2_] chaniarts[_2_] is offline

Default Freezer runs too cold

willshak wrote:
Matt wrote the following:
On 05/18/2011 10:01 AM, hr(bob) wrote:
On May 18, 12:50 am, Matt wrote:
GE chest freezer, 6 years old, something like 19 cubic feet,
model FCM7DRBWH.

The temperature runs to -15 to -10 degrees F when I have it on the
warmest setting, which is to say it is colder than what I want,
namely 0
degrees.

I am afraid it may be wearing out its compressor.

What is probably wrong?

Thanks.

parts
diagram:
http://www.appliancepartspros.com/pa...del_id=5230276

owner's manual:http://www.hammerwall.com/tempmanuals/L0520554.pdf

Fully defrost it, this is a very common problem, both with freezers
and refrigerators. Plus it's cheaper to do than buying anything in
the way of parts..

Okay, I'll do that, I guess.

But the owner's manual does not mention frost as a cause of too-cold
temperature.

Yes, but it does happen in some cases.
Empty the freezer, leave the lid open, and pull the plug.
Leave it overnight, or until all the ice is melted.
Put the frozen food in a cooler or some such.
I have a few summer parties at my house (I have a big inground pool)
and I have 2 big Igloo coolers. One for beer and one for soda.
I have put frozen food in them when I had to defrost my old
fridge/freezer that sits in the garage (due to a frozen valve in the
open position, which turned the whole unit into a freezer, and froze
everything stored in the fridge section).

even faster: empty the freezer and aim a small fan at the open door. my
small freezer can be de-iced in about 20 minutes that way.