Posted to alt.home.repair,free.uk.diy.home,rec.food.cooking
Graham Graham is offline

Default Wet carbon steel knife forgotten on rice cooker

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
graham wrote:
"zxcvbob" wrote in message
john ryan wrote:
Carbon steel knife inadvertently left 'wet' on top of the white plastic
lid of a rice cooker, overnight.

Brown rust stain has soaked into the plastic. Is there any chemical
that might remove the stain please?

Oxalic acid, dilute hydrofluoric acid ("Whink"), or "Iron Out" (contains
sodium hydrosulfite and bisulfite.)

FFS DON"T EVER USE HYDROFLUORIC ACID, DILUTE OR OTHERWISE, UNLESS YOU
WORK IN A LAB WITH ALL THE REQUISITE SAFETY GEAR!!!!!

Graham

It's available in the laundry aisle at the supermarket in a little brown
plastic squeeze bottle for removing rust stains. It's called "Whink".
It's important to wear rubber gloves when using it cuz it will F! you up
(in a bad way) if absorbed through the skin.

Christ!! It's one of the more dangerous acids and should NOT be available
to the general public. I'm fully aware of the dangers having used it under
lab conditions and having to develop procedures in the case of accidents.
These days, my processing work is handled by a contract lab so I don't go
near the stuff.
Graham