Posted to alt.home.repair
Matt[_7_] Matt[_7_] is offline

Default Freezer runs too cold

On 05/18/2011 10:04 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Matt wrote:
On 05/18/2011 02:08 AM, Evan wrote:
On May 18, 1:50 am, Matt wrote:
GE chest freezer, 6 years old, something like 19 cubic feet,
model FCM7DRBWH.

The temperature runs to -15 to -10 degrees F when I have it on the
warmest setting, which is to say it is colder than what I want,
namely 0
degrees.

I am afraid it may be wearing out its compressor.

What is probably wrong?

Thanks.

parts
diagram:http://www.appliancepartspros.com/pa...del_id=5230276

owner's manual:http://www.hammerwall.com/tempmanuals/L0520554.pdf

How much food is in your freezer ?

It sounds like it is almost empty if it is maintaining temperatures
like that on the warmest setting (which is 1 on your freezer)...

~~ Evan

It is full, but not packed tightly. The food is in cardboard boxes, but
it doesn't nearly fill all the space.

Hi,
Tried to adj. 'stat? Usually mounted in the back near the compressor.

Ummm, do you mean some thermostat other than the "cold control"? That
is what it is called in the parts diagram. It seems to be the same as
what the owner's manual calls the "temperature control", which is on the
front side, to be adjusted routinely by the user.

What adjustment do you mean in the back near the compressor?