Posted to alt.home.repair
JIMMIE JIMMIE is offline

Default Toggle switches

On May 17, 9:19*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
On 05/17/2011 12:22 PM, wrote:

On Tue, 17 May 2011 11:46:22 -0400, "Twayne"
*wrote:

,
*typed:
For aesthetic purposes I wanted to use toggle switches as
those commonly used on electronic equipment for use *as
light switches in a room. Plan is to make my own cover
plates from brushed aluminum. What would the requirements
be to make these *code compliant *if that is possible,
The switches I have are rated for 120VAC @ 20 amp DPDT I
was planing on using these switches as for both the
single switch, 3 way and 4 way operation.

Jimmie

As long as they're UL or equvalently recognized (not approved - doesn't
apply to components) you should be fine even with electrical inspectors. To
make sure, give your local code enforcement office a call; they are the
final authority on such matters. You'll need the switch specs too.

HTH,

Twayne`

Hubbel/Raco has switches that are U/L listed (not just recognized) and
that is generally the test with your AHJ. This still does not mean he
will "approve" their use in this application. (as Twayne says) They
really like to see things done the way they usually see things done.
I am guessing you are not going to see an inspector anyway so just try
to be safe.

Late to the party, but once upon a time they were used as the OP
describes... I remember an old girlfriend's house in Pittsburgh which
had brass switch plates (the nice thick pressed kind... probably .030 or
.040 with nice crisp bevels) with brass toggles in the center of them
for light switches. *they all still worked...

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel- Hide quoted text -

Like the idea of using brass.