Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Can a microwave oven have its output imited?

"mike" wrote in message

There are a few things you can do.
Use containers with straight vertical sides. The thinnest part
of the material boils [???] first in a typical bowl. I've been acquiring
HUGE ceramic coffee mugs to cook soup.

I use huge ceramic cereal bowls. Heating soup or oatmeal at full power still
causes localized boiling.

The other thing you can do is siphon off the energy with a cup of water.
Varying the amount of water and the power cycling can accommodate
most needs.

With my oven, simply lowering the power does the trick. A big bowl of
oatmeal cooks in 6 minutes at 50% power, with no boilover.

I've done some experiments with a dish that looks like a lemon juicer.
The donut shape of the liquid gets energy from all sides and can help
moderate the edge boiling. You'd really not want any thickness of the
subject material to be any thicker than the microwaves can penetrate.

It seems to me that's exactly what you want.