Posted to alt.home.repair
Andy[_26_] Andy[_26_] is offline

Default Solar Electric Systems, Entry-Level

On May 17, 7:30 am, "
wrote:

Last time I checked, plugging an accessory into a computer did
not typically require an electrical permit. Nor does
it require that the person doing the work do it in accordance with
the NEC and that it pass inspection after the local electrical
inspector looks at it. Nor does the computer situation involve
working with lethal voltages, which, if not done correctly, could
kill either the person doing the work or others.

**** Last time I checked, anyone could hook a solar panel to
a battery and an inverter..... most without reading the directions.
Usually the voltages are the same as in a computer --- 120 AC
is typically the highest.... What sort of ultra-high voltage PV
array are you talking about..??

See the difference?

***** Nope... And, if you do, you are looking in the wrong direction.

Financial advisability
Which is also wrong. There are lots of incentives and they vary
from state to state. In places like NJ and CA, with all the
incentives
from federal, state and local, PV can be a sound financial decision
for a homeowner in under 10 years.

**** So, if you like it, you should do it..... Someone who only looks
at the "financial incentives" and doesn't understand the issue enough
to do the electrical evaluation and tradeoffs themselves will
probably end up going back to the grid...... But, I'm not going
to change my lifestyle, which is quite comfortable, for a few
dollars of "tax savings" ...... Good luck to those who do.

Almost all of the solar installs in the US are not "off grid". In
fact,
they only work in conjunction with the grid. So, no need for
the experiment and only a loon that currently has grid power
available would dut there ties to the grid.

*** Ok. Since I pay about 10 cents per kwh for "on the grid"
I hope those people who are trying to get rich by selling sunlight
to the power companies have luck with their investment, which
typically runs many tens of thousands of dollars. My electricity
useage for the rest of my life won't cost as much as most
PV installations.... Perhaps I am in the minority. Presently, for
the last 10 years (which I keep records of) I use about $1700 worth
of electricity a year, for a 3000 sq ft (approx) house with an
irrigation pump to pump lake water to my garden..... That's the
TOTAL for about 100 miles south of Dallas , Texas ... Statistically,
I'll live another 15 years...... You do the math.

Which leads me to wonder how much you really know about
solar at all.

**** I know enough to know that it doesn't make sense for me to
convert to it, even if I design and build my own system, which I
am fully qualified to do......Actually, I have done it, but only on a
small
scale to see the feasibility .... It was fun...

I suggest that you have read a bunch of magazine articles put out
by people who sell and/or install PV stuff, and you feel that you are
somehow expert in the field..... Good luck with that...
Tell us about your own personal experience with designing , building,
and installing PV systems and we'll compare notes......And by
designing, I'm talking about the component level... not plugging
cards into connectors..... Been there, done that, got a bunch of
patents on it.....

Andy in Eureka, licensed PE, GMDSS, GROL ,BS, MS, etc....