Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Help Finding Metalworking Machines on the Web

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote in message

5. You are a truck manufacturer and you have to drill through the wood
flooring and support structure to attach the boards. You want to do it
faster.

I would use a screw gun and trailer deck board screws. I've still got a
couple boxes left over from when I re-decked my Dad's flatbed. Hardest part
was finding decent #3 Phillips tips now that nobody seems to remember AT&G
anymore. You got an automatic screw feeder drill press with enough swing
and enough spindles to do it in one pass? That would be cool to see.

Roll it under. Place the boards. Push the start button. Roll it out.

P.S. Yes, I do know most commercial rigs are through bolted.

Hmmm.... how about a drill press head or multiples on a gantry. Roll the
frame under it and let a CNC controller drill all your holes. Giant multi
spindle CNC router basically. I might have to build one someday. LOL.
Heck, for single application it could be mechanical and stationary with a
bed frame feeder underneath that mechanically trips a drill process every so
many inches.

STOP IT. I don't need any more useless (to me) project ideas bouncing
around in my head. Joe, I'm sending you the bill from my shrink. (For
those who are inane enough to quote this to win an argument in the future...
That was dark humor, not a statement of personal mental infirmity.)

To your question. I think that those people searching for you are only a
small portion of your potential market. Many don't even know to look for
you. I think you should be searching for them, and be prepared with real
world realistic numbers showing how they can save money on production with
some of your applications. Be prepared with prearranged financing and/or
lease purchase agreements too. A lot of companies don't have the cash
reserves to buy new equipment upfront no matter how much it will save them
down the road.

If you can work out the numbers so you can walk into their shop and show
them how they can save money from the first period your equipment goes
on-line saving man hours compared to leasing or financing costs you can do a
lot more than just trying to position yourself first in the search engines
for the small percentage of people and shops who have excess cash to invest
in equipment AND are looking to spend it on your type of equipment.

In this tough economy I think you can do better contacting companies that
can benefit from your product and being prepared to prove to them
immediately that you can reduce their cost per unit production costs. You
need to be able to do it quickly to. Spend some time studying each
potential customer so you can be prepared to present your numbers on their
terms.