Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected][_2_] norminn@earthlink.net[_2_] is offline

Default Concrete Pad versus Paving Blocks

On 5/16/2011 2:21 PM, Pavel314 wrote:
Just polling the group on the better method to make a little patio,
about 8 feet by 8 feet square.

We have a table and chairs under a large tree in the back yard.
They're just set on the lawn so during the rainy season my chair legs
frequently sink into the soft ground, leaving me to sip my martinis on
an incline. I need to put something solid under there and first
thought of paving blocks, those cement slabs a couple of inches thick
and 12"x12" or 18"x18". I've done that sort of thing years ago at
another location using red paving bricks.

Then I thought it might be easier just to set some forms and fill them
with concrete. Less problems with getting everything leveled, matching
edges, etc. I could get more creative that way, with a square section
under the table and semi-circles where the chairs sit.

I also suggested a wooden deck but my wife didn't like that one. I
didn't even suggest attaching round metal plates to the bottom of the
legs to act like a snowshoe, spreading the weight and preventing
sinking underground.

Any preferences among the group?

Paul

I would be strongly in favor of pavers...we had such in Florida, with no
problem. We put down landscape cloth on leveled soil, then very large
pavers. Left about 6" around the pavers which was filled with river
rock. Eventually, if there is debris that collects, they will grow a
few weeds, but than can be treated. A slab under a tree, it seems to
me, would invite problems for the slab and the tree. Pavers can be
removed or reset. We had 4x4 timbers as a border to keep rock in place.
Easy to move the grill around on it. I don't know how the tree root
would be affected in terms of air and water...landscape cloth allows
good water drainage.