Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Concrete Pad versus Paving Blocks

Pavel314 wrote:

Just polling the group on the better method to make a little patio,
about 8 feet by 8 feet square.

OK- I was so nervous about you messing up the concrete work, I forgot
your opening line. Now I am *absolutely certain* that you need to
do this with pavers, or bricks, or something you can expand.

Mine is roughly 20x20. I'm *so* glad I didn't go with the 12x12 that
was my original thought.

We had a big ole wooden picnic table in this space before. 8x8 was
all we used-- sometimes we might sit a lawn chair out there. My
12x12 went to 20x20 because it fit better between the tree and the
driveway.

First thing the Mrs. did when we had this nice patio was buy some
patio furniture. Table, chairs, chaise, loveseat. Then I decided
to move the BBQ to the edge of the pavers so my feet didn't track wet
grass into the house if I was smoking something & running in and out
20 times.

Then, since we started living out there pretty much in the evenings,
we got a little firepit. Bam! patio full.

You can build your 8x8 this year with pavers. With the tiniest bit
of pre-planning, you can extend it next year- or 10 years from now
with matching, or even contrasting pavers.

Mine is a circle- and one of these summers I'm going to add another
15x15 to the existing patio with another circle.

You can't do that with concrete and not have it look like an add-on.

Jim