Posted to alt.home.repair
Hank[_6_] Hank[_6_] is offline

Default Concrete Pad versus Paving Blocks

On May 16, 2:21*pm, Pavel314 wrote:
Just polling the group on the better method to make a little patio,
about 8 feet by 8 feet square.

We have a table and chairs under a large tree in the back yard.
They're just set on the lawn so during the rainy season my chair legs
frequently sink into the soft ground, leaving me to sip my martinis on
an incline. I need to put something solid under there and first
thought of paving blocks, those cement slabs a couple of inches thick
and 12"x12" or 18"x18". I've done that sort of thing years ago at
another location using red paving bricks.

Then I thought it might be easier just to set some forms and fill them
with concrete. Less problems with getting everything leveled, matching
edges, etc. I could get more creative that way, with a square section
under the table and semi-circles where the chairs sit.

I also suggested a wooden deck but my wife didn't like that one. I
didn't even suggest attaching round metal plates to the bottom of the
legs to act like a snowshoe, spreading the weight and preventing
sinking underground.

Any preferences among the group?

Paul

Many years ago streets were paved with bricks. They couldn't hold up
to the traffic and weight. While some cities today are putting in
brick crosswalks with better materials and prepwork, they still are
not holding up.

If you want to do it once, pour a pad.

Hank