Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default a 30" door is not a 30" door apparently

On May 16, 4:40*pm, N8N wrote:
On May 16, 3:02*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:

On May 16, 8:52*am, N8N wrote:

On May 15, 9:54*pm, Oren wrote:

On Sun, 15 May 2011 20:14:47 -0400, Nate Nagel
wrote:

Friend of mine asked if he could borrow my router, because he needed to
replace a door in his house. *House is recent construction, doors are
hollow core "six panel" doors apparently made of pressed poop and fail.
*He bought a similar door (from HD) the same nominal size and just
wanted to rout the mortises for the hinges, because being mass produced
prehung doors they used radius-corner hinges.

The old door measured 29-7/8" wide. *The new door (Jeld-Wen) brand
measured almost 30-1/4" wide. *FAIL FAIL FAIL. *Of course I didn't have
a plane in the trunk of my car.

On the upside, while the old busted door appeared to have the outside
frame made of MDF, the new Jeld-Wen door, despite having the same flimsy
(understatement of century) facing, used real pine for the structure.

I personally would have been tempted to spend the $$ and buy a real
solid pine paneled door, but then the doors in the rest of the house
would have looked like **** in comparison...

nate

Are you mad about it?

Well, I'm a little annoyed, although it is my fault somewhat for not
measuring the door against the opening before starting to prep it.
(I'd thought that my friend had set it in the opening to make sure it
fit, but apparently not.) *However I am appalled at the cheesy
construction of these doors... there's several doors in the house with
evidence of damage from just having been slammed by kids (or perhaps
angry adults,) although it's hard to get ****ed at the kids because
without seeing them do anything it's hard to say whether they're being
particularly abusive or not, these things are SO flimsy. *They make
the hollow core veneer doors that were popular a few decades ago look
positively robust by comparison.

nate- Hide quoted text -

"However I am appalled at the cheesy construction of these doors"

A couple of years ago a friend moved into a ~$200K home that he had
had built. *He asked me to put a cat door in the door that lead to the
basement. I asked him if he was sure that he wanted me to cut a hole
in a brand new door - what would that do to the warranty if I screwed
it up? Are you sure you don't want to ask the builder to do it?

He decided to ask the builder about it and his answer was: "Let your
friend do it. If he screws up the door, I can charge you less for a
new door than I would have to charge you to put the cat door in
myself."

Considering how simple the job was, I was surprised to hear
that...until I cut the hole in the door.

The "6 panel door", complete with wood grain, was made of pressed
cardboard. There was a wooden frame, but the entire field was
basically paper. Even the interior supports were made from corrugated
cardboard set on edge for strength.

I have no doubt that just about anyone could punch a hole in one of
these doors with very little effort.

This house was built less than two years ago and cost considerably
more than $200K. *Doors are very much as you describe save for these
ones didn't even have a "wooden frame" the structure was all some sort
of engineered processed wood pulp food product. *Hence my shock and
awe. *Whereas I can get the real deal paneled doors at the
architectural salvage place for about the same price, but there's
obviously travel time, issues finding the size you need, finding ones
that exactly match, painting, filling all the old mortises and making
new ones, etc.

nate

It should be noted that $200K where I am might get you the same house
as "considerably more than $200K" gets someone where you are.

Many years ago I was living in an $90K house in Western NY. My
brother, who still lives in my home town on Long Island came to visit.

I asked him what my house would sell for back home.

"$350K - $400K in my neighborhood, well over $500K just a couple of
blocks away."

I visited him recently and I was amazed at how little $700K gets you
on Long Island these days.