Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Can a microwave oven have its output imited?

"Cydrome Leader" wrote in message
William Sommerwerck wrote:

I'm curious as to how my GE works.

If, at 50% (say) you were full "on" for one minute, then off for one

minute,
you'd be running in that first minute at a power level that would cause
localized boiling. (This is a problem with soups and oatmeal.)

I do not see that. Therefore, I have (???) to assume that PWM with a

cycle
of less than one second is used.

1 second seems pretty excessive. I don't recall what the timing cycle on
the Tappan ones were, but it was less than a minute for sure, but not
every few seconds.

What do you mean by excessive? If a magnetron can be modulated by varying
its B+, why shouldn't each PWM cycle be just one or two seconds long? You DO
NOT want the magnetron running at full power for "long" periods, followed by
even longer periods off (eg, one minute, four minutes off, for 20%).

I really liked those older machines. They were easy to use. I still don't
get why a microwave oven needs multiple buttons pressed to heat food.
It used to just be, turn the timing knob and press start. That's it.

My GE has six instant-start buttons, for one through six minutes.