Posted to sci.electronics.repair
spamtrap1888 spamtrap1888 is offline

Default Oven thermostat question

On May 16, 11:16*am, nesesu wrote:
On May 16, 10:04*am, Smitty Two wrote:

In article ,

wrote:
On Fri, 13 May 2011 21:55:13 GMT, Jesse wrote:

Would anyone happen to know, in a typical oven thermostat set at
say 350 degrees, when it would usually kick on? At 345? At 340?
Lower?

And what would usually be the overshoot? Would it hit a high of
350? Or even higher?

The OP is asking about the size of the hysteresis band, not the accuracy
of the control. Two entirely different things. And what mm was talking
about was also an accuracy adjustment -- surely there is no user option
to adjust hysteresis

Further to your comments, Smitty, there is the hysteresis band of the
actual thermostat PLUS the significant delay in the heat from the
element [which is also slow heating an cooling] getting from the
bottom of the oven up to where the sensor usually is at the top.
*In the occasional tests I have done using a thermocouple [fairly fast
responding] a measurement on the shelf in mid oven swings 30 or more
degrees F as the element cycles.

We used to take nine-point profiles of our little industrial ovens; it
never occurred to me to profile a cooking oven.

Digital oven thermometers are cheap -- the OP might want to answer his
own question and get back to the group.