Posted to uk.d-i-y
TheOldFellow[_2_] TheOldFellow[_2_] is offline

Default Future-proofing for future rewiring

On Sun, 15 May 2011 12:23:17 -0700 (PDT)
Tabby wrote:

On May 15, 6:29*pm, Lobster wrote:
My house is not particularly well specc'ed for electrics; although
we do have fairly modern RCD-protected CU and reasonably new
wiring, we don't have adequate circuits and it's likely that one
day I'll want to sort it out and add a few ring mains when the
opportunity permits (eg, when one day that new kitchen comes to the
top of the round tuit list...).

Anyway, shortly due to arrive at the top of said list is the
redecorating of the hall/stairs/landing (urgh). *Now, the CU lives
in a low cupboard in the hall, and all the cables running from it
are buried in the brick/plaster wall above it, travelling up to the
ceiling. Can't see any scope for adding in any new cables without
serious wall surgery.

So it occurs me that *now* would be a good time to bury some form of
conduit in the wall, separate but adjacent to the existing cables,
to enable me to run new cables at some time in the future. *It would
clearly need to be a pretty large cavity to be worthwhile (I might
want to put several ring mains down there, and they'd have to be
pulled through which would be awkward). *"Large" to me implies
fairly deeply buried, to ensure the overlying plaster is rigid
enough not to crack.

While I'm mulling this over in my head, I'm just wondering if
anyone's tried something similar and have any tips for suitable
conduit, methods etc?

Thanks
David

I take it you've rejected the 1800s aprpoach of bare iron wire on
ceramic standoffs, surface mounted to allow the heat to dissipate.

NT

You'd need to protect it with an RCD to bring it up to modern specs
though. I think a little label "Warning High Tension Electricity",
just at the right height for three-year-olds would be advised too.

R.