Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Can a microwave oven have its output imited?

klem kedidelhopper wrote:

On May 15, 5:37 pm, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:
mike wrote:

wrote:
On Sat, 14 May 2011 14:35:51 -0400, mm
wrote:

Can a microwave oven have its output controlled, limited, by something
like adjusting the AGC on a TV? Or on combo devices, radio,
cassette, CD, tv, there is usually a pot on each of those, adjusted so
the volume stays the same when one changes functions.

I didn't like my old small microwave oven because it was so small, and
I also had to cook longer than instructions said, because it was low
power. (So I was in the habit of mulitplying the time given by 1.1 or
1.3, but I was hoping not to have to do that anymore.)

Now I have a new, one-year old, full-size Sharp microwave -- I can
provide the model number if it matters -- and it is too powerful.
Things cooked in their packages according to instructions have their
water boiling over and taking some of the food with it, and I presume
other food is being cooked more than instructions or recipes call for.

It has a power control that will lower the power by 10% for every push
of the button, but I would have to use that button every time.

Is there any chance I can turn the full power down by 10%, for every
use?

(As an aside, it's interesting that on 90% power, for example, I can
tell when the microwave part is functioning because it makes more
noise during the 90% than the 10% of the time. The old no-name-brand
only had one other power level, Defrost, but it made the same noise
all the time, and to see how much of the time it was making heat, I
had to turn on a nearby AM radio and tune to a weak or no station, and
listen to the radiation from the microwave.)

The "power control" is a "per cent on" control. 90% for one minute
means the unit runs at full power for .9 * 60 seconds or 54 seconds,
usually in semi-equal segments such as on 18 seconds, off 2 seconds or
on 9 seconds, off 1 second.

John
I've got the same problem, but need more like 50%.
I'd considered adding another cap at half the value.
Not sure how to to the HV switching safely with affordable
components.

Just program the cook power, or get a smaller oven. The power supply
in a microwave can kill you in a heartbeat.

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid™ on it, because it's
Teflon coated.

I was just reading this thread and it brought a question to mind. What
if theoretically speaking you dropped the line voltage to the HV
circuit but not the control section? This would reduce both the
filament voltage as well as the HV secondary voltage on the
transformer. The result I would think would be a reduction in output
power, wouldn't it? Lenny

It will stop oscillating, if you reduce them very much.